I'd advise clients to seek valuation advice in the following situations at least:
1. If you are thinking about buying a business;
2. If you are thinking about selling your business;
3. If you have a new shareholder coming on board and need to decide what that new shareholder should pay coming in;
4. If you are restructuring and maybe transferring shares from one entity to another, such as to your Trust;
5. If things have gone bad. This could be where the shareholders are at war and maybe one is wanting to buy the other out;
6. If you and your partner have decided to separate. The shares may often be relationship property.